PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair TR Funding
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2009, 12:52
stefair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While I keep reading about Ryanair lowering T's & C's, but by no means do intend to defend their recruiting policies, as I also think it's unfair really, I would like to point out this: I have been on the waiting list for a TP (Do 328-100) with a regional in central western Europe. The deal is new FO's would have to pay 21k euros for the TR but will receive a salary of no more than 1500 euros after taxes per month. I learned their FO's fly about 400h (!) a year. The company is in turmoil and rumored to go bust. Would I go for it if I get the call? Probably not. It's nuts. Cadets, recently graduated from Air Berlin's own flight school (Germany's second largest carrier), had been promised, before they signed the check for a totally overpriced training, jobs on either one of their 320's or 737's with a salary commensurate to that type of aircraft, but instead have been put on Dash-8's, earning them 1,300 euros after taxes per month. Admittedly, the company was generous enough to pay for the TR...

I hate it as much as everyone else here, but let's face it guys, the glory days in this job are pretty much over if you don't fly for one of the classics. The Ryanair deal is indeed throat-cutting, but from what I see in the industry, they do pay rather well and you know what you sign up for. Plus, they are strong and surely will stick around for some time to come. One poster here said earlier, they are the future, love it or hate. I am afraid he's right.

I embarked on this career for the love of flying but also with the intention of making money at some point - preferably good money. While having been able to secure pilot employment since I finished my training last year and see my hours rack up since I certainly have not achieved the earning part. Former training buddies, however, who joined Ryanair straight after training (I actually laughed them off that time for forking out 40K), have and ... they are happy, i.e. residing in southern Europe, own apartment, car, paying back their loans... Life is a bitch sometimes.