PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What it's like to spend £65,000 and not get a job
Old 8th Nov 2009, 12:07
Luke SkyToddler

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Just take it as a given when you're shopping for flight training, that anybody in this business who "guarantees" anything whatsoever in their dealings with student pilots and prospective jobs / interviews / hours post graduation, is a thieving, grasping, moral bankrupt who is blatantly lying through their teeth. Coming up 20 years in the business now and I have yet to see any evidence whatsoever to the contrary, and that's in the good hiring times let alone the bad.

In fact if my kids ever wish to follow in dad's footsteps, one of my main criteria for exclusion of flying schools will be anyone who uses the word "guarantee" in any of their sales literature, especially if it is associated with large glossy brochures and pictures of sparkly eyed happy young top guns sitting in flight decks of big airliners. And I will be doubly suspicious, if said sales pitch is being presented by some slick talking posh in a suit, via a powerpoint presentation. And I will turn and run a country mile, if that individual works for an organization that has "aptitude tests" for admission, makes their PPLs wear uniforms and epaulettes and charges twice the going rate of traditional aero club training for the privilege.

Honestly guys - it's a lottery at the best of times getting into this business but going integrated at the moment is an even bigger gamble simply because you appeal to a much smaller employer pool and virtually all of them are not hiring. Anyone who's dumb enough to spend 65 grand in the current employment environment was going to lose their money one way or the other, because they were STUPID, and didnt do their research properly before they bet the house.

Don't be dazzled by the bright lights and bullsh!t of the big training organizations, and all the bogus work-for-free and buy-a-type-rating frills and schemes and cons that every single one of them seems to perpetrate these days. There's no need to spend even half that kind of money on flight training, and a million ways to minimize the risk of being unemployed at the end, provided you're realistic about your first job and prepared to go anywhere and fly anything.

Last edited by Luke SkyToddler; 8th Nov 2009 at 13:03.