PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Blue Cabin Crew EBA
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2009, 22:39
shoppingcart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
weighing it up before voting

worse off? Is that worse off than the current EBA or worse of than the modern award? There is a big difference between the two. You have obviously researched it more than I have so please post the information that you have found so that I and others can read. In the mean time the jury is still out whilst the days tick towards a vote.
here it is- "the agreement does not, or would not result, on balance, in a reduction in the overall terms and conditions of employment of the employees who are covered by the agreement. The agreement is compared to the relevant general award or an award designated by Fair Work Australia" Approval process | Fair Work Australia

OzAngel from 1 Jan the Award that they use is changing.

right now they use- Consolidated Award

from 1 Jan they use-
Award Modernisation - Airline operations
Modern Award-Aircraft Cabin Crew Award 2010

check-out the hours of work in both of them. Hello AIRC/FWA, we are not machines. The union sees it as:

"The company’s agenda item of greater hours of work resulted in the Association bargaining for protective conditions around working additional hours, along with receiving adequate remuneration for any additional work performed, whether voluntary or involuntary. With the daily limit of 9:45 preserved, a number of protective limits to the hours of work at roster publish stage or through disruption/assignment of duties of APT/RASS/denominated AVL, and the number of cumulative hours a Crew member may be rostered or work, the Association is satisfied that the negotiated outcome under the October Proposal has delivered what is most important to Crew"

I can't see why a clause that mandates minimum crew complements on each aircraft type can't be included in the current proposal
that clause is 1-7-2 "In the event of major workplace changes that are likely to have a significant effect on Cabin Crew members, Virgin Blue will consult with Cabin Crew Members and allow opportunity for representation for the purpose of that consultation, in accordance with the Fair Work Act and Regulations.'

I am not sure what the exact process is if this EBA gets rejected and VBA continues with its application to terminate our current agreement, but it definitely requires further investigation as the rumours that we will be put straight onto a less than favourable award sound incorrect.
found out- 1. it gets heard by FWA 2. in the mean time between the no vote and the termination decision we would have to act as a group of "employees wishing to take industrial action to support their claims" to get what we see as fair in the EBA 3. we don't get paid when we take industrial action 4. FWA decides whether it should be terminated 5. if its terminated then our contract becomes the base workplace instrument and because the workrules in our EBA are no longer there, FWA decides what we work under and we know what hours of work they think are fair.

I going with what the union and VB have decided is fair because I don't trust the system to look out for me.