PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fed up.
Thread: Fed up.
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2009, 19:17
M14_P

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pace, that was a key point. Mike, what do YOU want from aviation. As you have seen from other's posts, there are many different methods and routes to take, paths to carve etc.
I am only getting there myself, but just want to tell you quickly about how I got started. I have always had a passion for old aeroplanes, antique, warbird etc etc. Since I sat in the Spitfire when I was 6. Ok, anyway, haven't we all done that?
I took flying lessons before school finished, worked as cleaner for 4 years to do my PPL and CPL (PPL took me 2 years part time CPL took just over 2 years also part time). I got some background in a mountainous environment with my CPL which was great, very valuable. But ultimately, I didn't/don't really have a motivation to do your typical path to the airlines. I used my experience in the cleaning industry to setup my own window cleaning business 5 years ago and funded my aerobatic training with a combination of jobs, barman/porter/concierge/pumping gas (that was also my employment at the end of my CPL).

I got some tailwheel time and ended up buying a share ina yak 52 which had been a long time ambition (I remember watching them fly at airshows when I was 12 thinking I want to be those guys one day).

Flew the Yak for a couple of years which was all valuable stuff, met lots of people and had some great exposure in the scene I'd love to be more involved with in teh future - bloody long way to go. In the mean time I applied for and got a job flying a Pitts Special for a commercial aerobatic provider - did that for 12 months, had a go in the bosses' Single seater, loved that, bought a single seater with a good friend and engineer.

I have just started flying tiger moths doing joyrides. Did my instructor rating earlier this year which was financed through my contracting company and am doing part time instructing in a couple of different machines. Also doing Pitts training on request.

Ok, so to the point, what do I want out of aviation? What I want is to compete at the Advanced aerobatic world champs in years to come and instruct in my own Yak 52. These two seperate projects, with a combination of more tiger flying and other types too hopefully to fly ww1 fighters. The thing is, I am as far off to achieving these goals as I was when I was 12 but you always are. Keep that goal in mind, keep the focus and be determined enough to make it happen.
I worked **** jobs for a long time, but at no point did I not know exactly what I wanted from this game. I have only limited operational experience to be honest but I have seen enough to know how harsh the industry can be if you don't watch what's happening around you.

What a big pile of nonsense! Just wanted to tell ya this as I get asked by young fellas about this sort of stuff, I am in my mid 20s but hell, I was the same when I was in my teens and remember only too well trying to figure out the enormous gap between flying solo in a Tomahawk to flying a Yak 52 at an International Airshow. All I could think of, was flying aerobatics and going to all the airshows that were on. I read Paddy Wagstaff's book 'Fire and Air', I first saw The Battle of Britain movie when I was 6, I have read countless bio's from pilots who were alot younger than me and fought in WW2. Nothing, absolutely nothing has changed. Just ask my fiancee!