PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fed up.
Thread: Fed up.
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2009, 16:25
A.Agincourt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike 172 - I personally know 4 commercial pilots - currently employed and secure in that employment - who set off with pretty much a similar predicament as you. One was a milkman, one a builder another a nurse and another a 'grunt' in the military. All of them felt the pull to the sky and not a single one got any help at all. As another has already said, that mindset is the curse of the younger generations who all seem to want life handed to them on a plate or otherwise negate the sheer effort it takes to get what you want. Personally, I left school with very little interest in aviation and that didn't change until I was in fact the same age as you are now. It took me 5 years to gain a better education before I could get a job that would pay me enough to enable my goal to be reached. It took me 10 years before I managed it.

A friend of mine drove tucks across the outback in Australia for 5 years to pay for a license and cleaned other peoples crap [literally] for as many years before that to afford to go to Australia! The tales go on but the message is the same for all. There is no easy way and there is no better way. You have to work at it, sacrifice everything for your dream and be prepared to go a good distance before you come close. Should you make it then all that effort will ensure you make a decent job of it because all things considered you will have invested so much of yourself by that time, that you will have accumulated the dedication, integrity and attitude to make a successful career of it.

I wish you success, like the man said "you can do anything you want. If you really want it.".

Best Wishes