PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK's Search and Rescue network to be maintained
Old 7th Nov 2009, 08:52
Torcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Public SAR

Geoffers said:
"Nobody has to profit from the misery of victims. I think that might almost be a definition of PUBLIC SERVICE. The thought of some fat-cat in an office making cash out of people in trouble sucks just as the notion that the military have an automatic right to be represented in this field. Focus on the needs of the customers, not the players."

Good one Geoffers, it pretty much sums up my points exacly!

Now to Norway and HFs post. I agree that we probably have one of the best HEMS services around. The only negative thing being voiced from the HEMS community itself, is the way the contract processes plays "musical chairs" with the providers every 5 years.
This could very well complicate things for a SAR type operation. The reason for this being the more complex and resource demanding operation a SAR unit is supposed to be able to handle.
With complexity comes the need to recruit, train, and KEEP the people you want. That is were both the current military (FIGMO), and the "rotating every few years" contracts go wrong.
Stability for the people involved in the service, should be a high priority in whatever system you choose.
The Norwegian helicopter rescue service (Still part of the Airforce), has had great success keeping motivated people in the service. Moderate pay increase, and stability for the people involved, being the key factors in this. With skilled, experienced and motivated people, comes the ability to streamline and further develop the operation. A lot of the time and resources that used to be spent on initial, and recurrent training of aircrews, is now available for actual missions, and to develop new skills and procedures.

(FIGMO-F**k It, Got My Orders)

T