PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 6th Nov 2009, 16:55
ottergirl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not another new union

HiFlyer14 how would it even be possible to start a new union? I have no idea how it could be done but it is a good idea. It would have to be one that is not militant and willing to discuss and listen. I feel saddened that many unions just want to fight and this could even happen to a new one. That said, it would be nice to have one that asks the opinions of its members rather than just a show of hands.
We already have another union (helped to set up by BALPA) that is generally not militant and who always ballots its members by post before making any decisions on our behalf. Many of us joined it post 1997 dispute because we wanted a different style of representation. I'm thinking a third union might be too many.

I heard a story in the pub yesterday that BA cabin crews on the London City to New York route get a night layover at London City after reporting at Gatwick because of duty time regs. Is that true?
It most likely is true due to the long duty hours on that flight. The stop in Shannon makes it a very long day and if the crew had driven up from LGW as well there would be a danger of them going out of hours with the slightest delay. That would apply to Flight crew as well though.