PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 6th Nov 2009, 07:02
JayPee28bpr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fume Event #2832

...were these the books that showed the share price doubling recently?
Very probably. I expect they'd have shown the position now, and projected forward based on the changes they proposed to make.

You are quite right that the price doubled, incidentally. In fact BA was the best performing share on the LSE in Q3. Unfortunately it was from a low base. BA has been a dog for years. Its share price high was reached in early-2007, hitting 578p. It reached its low of 110p in Q4:2009, and tested it again early this year, reaching 116p. That's an 80% fall from its high, much more than the fall in UK equities generally (the fall from peak to trough of the FTSE 100 was under 50%). BA's price is now 66% up from its low, closing at 192p on Wednesday.

I'm afraid BA's share price performance doesn't really support your argument. Over any reasonable period it has been poor.

I know how important many people here feel BA's record profits to 3/08 were. Would you be surprised to know that the share price FELL, very consistently, through the year from 4/07 to 3/08. ie the 12 months covered by those record results? The price roughly halved over that record financial period.

Interesting, don't you think?