PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 6th Nov 2009, 06:48
Juan Tugoh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am puzzled as to why BASSA/UNITE are pressing ahead with the strike ballot. This is not a dig at the CC, I just don't understand the logic. Perhaps the more savvy amongst you could explain where my logic goes awry.

The ballot will be announced on the 14th of December. From this date BASSA have between 7 and 30 days in which to take industrial action. They have to give the company 7 days notice of the action. The trial will take place on Feb 14th. 30 days from Dec 14 is Jan 11th, if there is no action by Jan 11th then another ballot will be required. These are, as I understand it, facts.

Now for the bit I don't understand. Given that there is a trial to determine whether these matters are contractual, I don't see, in fact I would be amazed if the same judge did not grant BA an injunction preventing any strike before the trial. It is after all something he is going to rule on in a few days anyway. So what value is there in pressing ahead with a ballot now - surely it would be wiser to delay the strike ballot until the the first week in Dec and announce the result in early Jan. That way as soon as the trial is settled BASSA will have a strike ready to go. Rather than that they will nw have to go to the expense of reballotting in Feb with strike action in early March.