PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - You know you're on the Subcontinent when....
Old 6th Nov 2009, 01:27
ecureilx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TII (this is India .. )

From my childhood spent schooling in India ..

When the cops are in Uniform, they demand respect, and bully people and beat the **** out of people, just for the sake of exercising their power. And when they are off - duty, every citizen has the democratic right to beat the **** out of the same cop ..

Been there, seen it with my own eyes ..

Another funny thing. I visited a temple in India, and there is a notice saying "AARLY PRAYERS" .. I had to wrack my brain till it was going nuts, before I figured it out "EARLY PRAYERS" as pronounced by Indian Accented English ..

Well, which country provides free accommodation for late night travellers ? In some parts of India, police will lock you up, if you are roaming around past midnight, and let you off without a question at sunrise .. apparently, this is to keep the streets safe, and also for the cops to clock their number of 'suspects arrested' tally ..

Then while driving in Chennai. When I saw amber in a traffic light, I braked, and there was a big crashing noise of a trishaw slamming into my cousin's car .. (it is the Indian version of Reliant Kitten - those who know will know that it is virtually shatter proof, and best for Indian roads .. ). And comes the trishaw guy demanding why I stopped, and he squarely blamed it on me for his slamming into the back of my car. The theory was "DONT STOP UNTIL THE LIGHT TURNS REALLY RED.. "

All in all, there are exotic places to visit, and my favorites are still the un-spoilt jungles and amazing temples, especially the Tanjore Temple that has a 40 tonne single piece stone at the top, and centuries ago, wonder how the 'illiterate' and 'uneducated' and 'third class' people achieved such amazing feats. Same goes for the Marble Wonder - Taj Mahal. And more and more, still standing as living proof of the talents and skills.

Last edited by ecureilx; 6th Nov 2009 at 01:43.