PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - For International Cadets.
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2009, 12:56
Rhodes13

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CP2009 I see your point but my readings of 404 show a person that has taken the time and effort to show potential cadets different ways of looking at things instead of the constant rose tinted view. Perhaps he comes on here because I assume he has been in CX for a long time and knows how the company works and what to expect. Something the vast majority of others dont.

Most of the guys applying here have little to no experience of airliners or indeed CX. I would have thought that all points are to be considered as unfortunately the negatives have to be weighed out against the positives.

In regards to losing medicals etc true they happen in all airlines and all I was simply pointing out that this is an incredibly risky business to be in. This was in response to someone else saying that they were not prepared to gamble on the DESO route. What I was trying to put across perhaps not so well is that even getting into the course is no guarantee of a job.

The case for the posting by the likes of 404 are strengthened when people start saying they can happily live on 500 aud a month, where they dont mind about the no housing allowance etc and where they have clearly been led down the garden path and have based their maths off the wrong figures. We then also have the situation where people honestly believe they can plan their lives 5 years from now and can categorically say they will not get married (maybe you should have a word with my girlfriend )

These types of posting lead one to believe people are being grossly naive in applying for this course. I dont know your personal situation but you seem intelligent enough to have taken everything on board, perhaps the posts were aimed at certain people who have to be told several times before they will learn? As to the perceived negativity perhaps that has to do with the broader industrial situation going on within the company at the moment? Reading the boards there seem to be many fires the company are trying to put out at the moment.

As for spending copious time here well thats what stanbys are for LOL. I've got nothing better to do. As to you affecting me well yes you are as your courses are being placed ahead of DESO's sitting in the hold pool waiting for a start date. I certainly dont feel any disdain towards yourself though, you are after all looking after yourself which is what I would do in the same situation. All I am trying to do is point out the negatives as I see them. As to the course well as a good friend said to me this stinks of massive short term thinking. Someones bonus is going to be looking very healthy this year. One day when you guys all get sick and tired of seeing the other expat SO's earning a lot more for the same job you might start to be bitter, and when eventually you start to look at leaving which you will eventually, then this is going to bite CX in the ass!

Question for vaibhab you say you are 20, have you actually been to HK? Have you seen how much things are over there? Whilst some things are cheaper the vast majority of food is more expensive. I also remember when I was 20 and getting by on a pittance, but in a few short years my needs changed massively. Statements such as I can survive on 500 AUD a month dont give you any credence. And please tone down the ass kissing mate, it makes you look desperate as does the wannabe cx monkier. Please just chill out mate.

FL999 its all well and good saying you have planned for the unforeseen but by definition you cant plan for that. I can tell you that last year I planned to be at CX and now Im not, now Im frantically trying to plan other things but life has a way of throwing curve balls at you. As to why this scheme was created I belive I answered that before, dont honestly think CX give a crap about you as you are a number plain and simple and as a number you represent a cost saving over hiring DESO thats a fact. Whilst this cost saving is great now when people start leaving in droves is when it will bite them. Look at recent past examples of companies acting in the short term for maximum profit but for a long term loss!

Last edited by Rhodes13; 5th Nov 2009 at 13:15.