PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What it's like to spend £65,000 and not get a job
Old 5th Nov 2009, 09:12
Jonty

Received 18 Likes on 1 Post
Is this CTC bashing not getting a little out of hand now? We all know there are people out there who have massive debts and no chance of a job and I feel for them, I really do.

I'm sure that when they started out the aviation world looked rosey, and no one predicted what would happen at the end of 2008, to the banks and the subsequent recession.

However, no one asked them to become pilots, to take out huge loans and learn to fly. Anyone who does a minimal amount of research will know that aviation is cyclical, in 2007/8 we were at the top of the cycle, now we are at the bottom. People have to take the rough with the smooth.

I find it quite interesting that those who are most vocal about CTC are those who have not been trained by them, or used any of their services. I include you in that WWW. Those that have will no doubt understand that their current predicament is not the direct fault of CTC. But they will also understand that CTC has a proven track record of getting more people in to the front seats of shiny jets than any other training organisation that I know of, bar direct sponsorship.

I consider my self quite fortunate. I left OAS in 1999 with a frozen ATPL, but no contacts in the aviation world. OAS did the square route of squat to help me find that first job. I did however, make it through the selection for the CTC ATP scheme. With in 12 months I was sitting in the RHS of a shiny 757 on full FOs pay. I know many others who did the same.

I know things are not like that now, and that the likes of Easy Jet and others (my own airline included) are taking advantage of these CTC cadets. But I would lay the blame squarely at the feet of the airline industry. It is the airlines who are the "exploitative ****s". It is the airlines who have no interest in keeping cadets on, and take them on knowing full well that there will not be a job at the end of their six month contracts. What's happened to the CTC cadet scheme is the airlines fault not CTCs. I suppose you could argue that CTC should not let it happen, but CTC is a business and at then end of the day these guys are comming out of the scheme with a type rating and about 200 hours on type. Now you tell me who is the best placed when the up turn eventually comes, 200 hours total and a frozen ATPL, or 400 hours frozen ATPL and a 320 type rating?