PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - For International Cadets.
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2009, 08:53
Rhodes13

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
indeed that would be a problem if you're married. Honestly though, who in their right mind, would get married and have kids when living on a SO salary? If you get there already married and with children thats another story and I agree it would be very difficult to survive. To that question i would respond(thats me, in my current situation): Id say that considering the lack of housing allowance would most certainly be a burden if ever I plan to get a family but lets face it, i still have a lot of time to think about getting a family(again thats just me). So getting married and having kids during the 5 years after the CPP will be a non-issue. It would simply be suicide to carry such a burden without financial freedom. Once things get sorted out after the first couple of years Ill see what Im gonna do then. Anyway if I marry a girl who doesnt understand that im also going through the same thing she is and feels that I should do more to help her out when she darn knows the situation, then I think she wasnt worth marrying anyway.
FL999 you seem to have everything planned out but have you considered the possibility of what happens when things dont turn out as planned as they tend to always do?

Very nice to sit here and say well I wouldnt do this and I wouldnt do that but you would be very very naive not to acknowledge the possibility of that happening. As 404 titan has pointed out Im sure the CX interviewers would be clued up to this. Hong Kong is expensive thats a fact more so if your are an expat as you have different lifestyle choices. To say that you would instantly get rid of that lifestyle is absurd, much like the gent saying that he survives on 500 a month is Aus! Life is meant to be enjoyed not endured. What good is flying a shiny jet if you go home to a miserable existance?

I personally have experience of this as I was all set to be moving to CX llast year and put my life on hold and guess what, life still on hold waiting for the phone call, career moving on but not wanting to make roots where I am becuase in the back of the mind you always have to think what if!

Please heed 404 and others advice and dont blindly rush into this for the shiny jet. At the end of the day its a job and a poor paying one for an expat considering what you could make as a DESO