PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - For International Cadets.
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2009, 07:05
FL999

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Q: So FL999 imagine you have been with CX five years, you’re now married with a new born on the way. Your wife has had enough of the 500 ft² apartment you both have been living in for the last five years and is demanding that you find a bigger apartment or she is leaving. The only problem is you can’t afford it. What are you going to do?
indeed that would be a problem if you're married. Honestly though, who in their right mind, would get married and have kids when living on a SO salary? If you get there already married and with children thats another story and I agree it would be very difficult to survive. To that question i would respond(thats me, in my current situation): Id say that considering the lack of housing allowance would most certainly be a burden if ever I plan to get a family but lets face it, i still have a lot of time to think about getting a family(again thats just me). So getting married and having kids during the 5 years after the CPP will be a non-issue. It would simply be suicide to carry such a burden without financial freedom. Once things get sorted out after the first couple of years Ill see what Im gonna do then. Anyway if I marry a girl who doesnt understand that im also going through the same thing she is and feels that I should do more to help her out when she darn knows the situation, then I think she wasnt worth marrying anyway.

Although this would be my response, it only fits my situation. young and single. i think that Cathay are probably looking for people in my situation. Judging by the cost of living in HK, they would not do that if they were gonna cater for older more experienced guys.

U think? But you have left out the bit where u're not working at home. There is hardly any airline that adopt SO positions with housing allowance.

If you say Qantas for example...yeah they do have SOs...but u dont have housing. However, that's ok...because you are at home. If you are away from home...there is alot more things to consider other than MONEY AND LOVE FOR FLYING.
true, but do all Qantas SOs come from the city in which they are based? Australia is MASSIVE, so a guy from Perth getting a job as an SO in Sydney wouldnt really be home, will he? Im just saying, I dont know the situation over there compared to HK but thats what I think.

Trust me, if people like me could just knock at the local airline's door and simply get in they would. Fact is, not everyone has that opportunity available to them locally so we have to take every opportunity we can get.

About housing allowances: have you ever met cadets from Emirates? Well I met them in Adelaide, and no program can match theirs:

They get 3000$ a month while training in Adelaide.
They get directly to a First Officer position on the A330 with a starting salary of 8000$ a month + housing allowances.
Contract is only 4 years.
Fark, that is some contract. Sounds a bit too good to be true though dont you think? Ive never heard of the Emirates cadet pilot program. Can you link me please? Also im pretty sure its reserved for UAE nationals anyway.