PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - For International Cadets.
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2009, 15:54
EPASZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ummm

Edit: Ive come across the CX payscales and even if housing is expensive in HK I doubt you will get that kind of salary as an SO anywhere else in the world.

U think? But you have left out the bit where u're not working at home. There is hardly any airline that adopt SO positions with housing allowance.

If you say Qantas for example...yeah they do have SOs...but u dont have housing. However, that's ok...because you are at home. If you are away from home...there is alot more things to consider other than MONEY AND LOVE FOR FLYING.

Lets take a look at why i think CX is 1 of the best EXPAT company in the world...

1. it is located in Hong Kong (an ex-Britsh colony) where Hong Kong residents still pay high respect to westerners because we have lived together for 100 years plus HK and the people that lives in here are still alittle more westernise than our fellow mainland compatriot. [However, If you live and work anywhere else in the world..e.g. Australia...UK or US...you are just another ordinary person. And when it comes to China, Singapore, Middle east, Korea, Japan (u name it)...being a westerner is not as respectful because the local rules, plus u r gonna have a hard time getting use to their strong cultural sense and trying to adopt their lack of english signage (unlike HK)...speak to those Expats that works in Mainland China...then u will know what im talking about.

2. There aren’t too many airlines in the asian region that are own by a western company . The benefits for that? I guess u can raise ur voice louder than usual and speak more freely (Then I dont have to mention why there are so many complains about HK Airlines in Fragrant Harbour). N u can look down to local employees and not worry about it.

3. You get a massive housing allowance working in a western company outside home and together, u still own respect from people that works with you. [Because in Mainland China...no local respects an Expat earning 3 times as much n do exactly the same work]

So what's this all about? I guess once you come out as a cadet...the 3rd point no longer applies (but yeah yeah...everyone has said it over and over again, anyone would take this golden opportunity to achieve their flying dream, because u wont have to pay a cent on training fee)...but just have this in mind....when it comes to the time where u r going to quit CX and find a better flying job...then you wont find anything too much better than what CX has for Expats (i.e. Point 1 + 2 + 3) Without point 3...CX is not much better than a company at home.

But of course....some people would go to the middle east...just because of their great pay. Culture-wise? ummm not so sure.

Last edited by EPASZ; 5th Nov 2009 at 05:35.