PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do I need an AOC???
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2009, 12:52
tac1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IS-BAO

A couple of posts have made reference to IS-BAO on this thread.

IS-BAO is a standard, International Standard for Business Aircraft Operations, and it provides a comprehensive set of criteria for for the control of operations of non-commercial operators or turbojet airplanes, large airplanes and corporate operators.

With effect from 18th November 2010 ALL operations that fall into the above category with have to comply with the requirements of the new ICAO Annex 6 Part II.

The new Annex 6 Part II includes a requirement for a Safety Management System which the IS-BAO contains along with all the other operational management criteria.

Bermuda have decided to take a positive step to enhance safety (my words not theirs) by requiring aircraft on their register that fit into the above criteria are operated by organisations that meet the requirements of Annex 6 Part II by 1st Nov 2009. This is the same incidently for all the UK Overseas territories (Cayman, BVI etc) but Bermuda are the 'pioneers' if you like.

IS-BAO is one way of meeting the new ICAO requirement but there are others.

For those people whose operations meet the new qualifying criteria would do well to look at the requirements now as they will take a while to implement AND I have heard some stories or large operations make very significant insurance savings by meeting the standard.

Hope this helps.