PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Yukky PA's
Thread: Yukky PA's
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2002, 06:35
skychaser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a bit off the subject but when I was a young person I was lucky enough to go to the USA. It was at the time when the DC 10s (I think) were having heaps of problems with cargo doors and the like, around the late seventies, I think. A few had fallen out of the sky with great loss of life so public confidence was very low in these aircraft. To build up that confidence the powers that be decided it would be good if all the pax could watch the landing and take off from behind the crew-real time. There was a large screen with the Capt. etc all looking professional and busy and oh so happy that they were flying in this aircraft. I don't know whether this still happens today but, going by the reactions of all the pax in the aircraft I was flying on, I'd be surprised if it did. Every time the Capt. turned around and smiled into the camera and told us what was going on there was an audible groan from the pax (those that weren't crying or screaming that is,) and some pax were heard to yell when heading in for a landing " turn around-look where you're going" A more terrified lot of pax you never did see.