PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 3rd Nov 2009, 19:59
HiFlyer14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any chance we can keep to topic on this thread.....some of our livelihoods depend on it.....

LGW....... I totally agree with you about the need for negotation - but as Midman pointed out, why oh why haven't they negotiated so far? Walking out of slideshows, refusing to be in the same room as Amicus reps, turning up late, come on.....you seem like a reasonable person...you must see that they have brought this upon us unnecessarily?

The other point about whether BA will or won't sack strikers is somewhat superficial to the argument. So Mandyconn, FlyingChick Watersidewonker et al are gung ho for a strike. Good for them. I am not. And I speak to people I fly with all the time who also are not. It's amazing but once you speak to people and say outright "I don't support a strike", they open up and admit that they don't either. The relief that they have been allowed to express it freely is palpable.

So MC, FC, WW et al good luck to you. As 7heroes says it all boils down to whether on Day 1 of the strike you have the guts to carry it out. I remember last time round people virtually in tears the day before because they didn't know what to do. I doubt very much that all the Yes Voters would have carried it off. So, you probably will. Can you bank on everyone else doing the same.

So you take that chance. You sit at home, by the roadside picket, wherever on strike WONDERING HOW MANY ARE GOING TO DO IT OR IF YOU'LL BE THE ONLY ONES. My bet is you will be very disappointed...and isolated... and broke.

Oh...and very interesting point about 70% of crew being female yet pictures show mostly males at the meeting. Perhaps the mothers with children didn't want to go to a pointless BASSA meeting, in much the same way that they won't support a pointless strike as they will still have to pay for childcare, school fees, school clubs, swimming lessons, etc. strike or no strike. Another thing to think about when lighting the picket fires.