PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 3rd Nov 2009, 18:56
7Heroes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Road not Taken

I have seen many votes for industrial action but quite often one or other of the sides have usually backed down at the 11th hour.It is easy to vote for it or turn up at mass meetings but it is another to actually `withold your labour`.I think this time it is different.It will be quite terrfying and frightening on day 1 of the strike.I know, I have been there once and hated it and was almost sick with worry on that day,as many of you will be.It is your livelyhood on the line and quite understandable.

Recentley I went to a meeting where the question was asked,`Can BA afford to take on the Cabin crew?`And the answer came back `This time BA can`t afford not to take on the cabin crew`To that end don`t forget BA have 2000 cabin crew too many due to the grounding of 15 aircraft.If 500 crew are sacked on day one ,whether rightly or wrongly, just imagine how you will feel if you have to go to work on day 2 or 3 or 4.And after 2000 people have been sacked there are still enough crew to run a full operation.WW is out to win this one.Those people sacked will be out of a job immediately.They may get compensation etc for unfair dismissal but how long will that take when you have a family,kids,mortgage and just before xmas.I think on the day of the strike most crew will wait and watch to see what happens to the first few.If he starts sacking the first few hundred then I would predict that it will crystalize a few peoples minds.Are the gains versus the losses now really worth it.Your bluff would have been called .
It would be interesting to see who has booked/recently arranged leave for the first few days of the strike.

I would urge all of you to read Robert Frost`s `The road not taken` .Once the fork in the road is passed there is no turning back.