PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 3rd Nov 2009, 18:07
midman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flying_chick
I think this is the only place ever where people go on about getting the sack if you go on a strike. You CAN ONLY GET THE SACK IF IT IS DONE ILLEGALLY!!!! Legal industrial action is JUST THAT LEGAL!! The laws are made so it is very very hard to go on strike, that much is very true, and that is why there is a long procedure in place so done correctly and to the book it is perfectly legal. Quoted by my lodger who has a 1st class degree in Employment law.
How about suggesting your lodger takes another look in their lawbooks Ask them what you do if your employer shows you the door after going on strike. Answer - not much.

I can assure you, as I have a 1st class degree in employing people, that I can sack any of my employees at anytime. I however have to be prepared to justify that sacking at a subsequent tribunal, and to be prepared to pay out if I am in the wrong. (I've done it in the past.)

WW may find it a very worthwhile risk/investment to sack a few of the first to strike if he thinks he can break a potentially expensive strike by doing so.