PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Further Services Being Lost at GA Airports
Old 3rd Nov 2009, 00:21
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
The Green Goblin

There’s absolutely no way I would ever become involved in a business that provided aviation fuel – or indeed any business involved in general aviation. The reason for this is that all recent governments in Australia basically have no policy for general aviation – in fact they are even hostile to it.

Over many years I have campaigned to reduce all the unnecessary expenses we have, ie. things like joining directly on base at an airport to save fuel costs or, dare I say it, being able to fly at 12,500 feet without oxygen – being above the inversion layer and also saving fuel.

So far, all of these things – and these are just a tiny example of literally hundreds of cost reductions which could be introduced – nothing has been implemented.

My suggestion to anyone is not to put any money into aviation in this country. Maybe in the years to come when the damage that has been inflicted is so great, we will get a Minister or a Government who will take advice and will get aviation booming again.

Remember, we can be the leaders in the world in flight training and recreational aviation. Hundreds of millions of dollars can come, but for that you need a policy that says that you should have both high safety and participation levels in aviation. Until that happens, we are doomed.