PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fed up.
Thread: Fed up.
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2009, 21:06
foxmoth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There doen't seem to be any help for young people like myself who want to get into aviation. If mummy and daddy have lots of money then you're sorted. But mine aren't. People only seem to be interested in (often) pointless and irrelevant qualifications and not passion and enthusiasm anymore.

I often wish I was born 50 years ago where a pilot could start out by sweeping hangars or cleaning aircraft.
Well Mike, you might think things are hard now, but 25 years ago I was in a very similar position to yourself with no rich parents to pay for things - and things are not really that different these days - I ended up driving a fork lift working a 7 day week, 13 hours a day most days, Saturday I would miss an hours work so I could actually get some flying in (Sundays was double time so not taking time off then), in those days you did not have the airlines taking on Cadets and putting low hour pilots straight onto Jets, you started flying something like an Aztec (No GPS in those days) on the hardest ops there were and worked your way up to Airlines via Turboprops. I am now an A330 Captain, but still instruct and fly for fun, it can be done, you just have to keep at it.