PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 2nd Nov 2009, 12:01
dns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My girlfriend is a student doctor, currently in her 4th year of medical school and has 2 years to go, before she even starts the on-the-job training.

I have done a lot of flight training myself (incomplete due to medical complications) and have several friends who have been through Oxford in recent years.

My opinion: The flight training is a complete doddle compared to what a medical student goes through. Medical students do not get the long holidays which normal students get as. They also leave training with a huge amount of debt, the same as many flight crew, but having lost 6 years potential income. A medical degree is the most stressful experience I have ever seen anyone put themselves through.

Those who seem to think that doctors don't continue training or being checked throughout their careers are simply showing their total lack of understanding of the medical profession. Doctors NEVER stop training, from the day they start, to the day they retire.

As for the "insurance against doctors mistakes" comment, what an absolute load of bulls**t. Do you lot not read the news?