PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - You know you're on the Subcontinent when....
Old 2nd Nov 2009, 09:58
classicart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
big oil,

I'm not talking about money man...or riches or GDP or stuff like that.
I am talking about the general condition of the human beings who have to live in a particular place. As I said before i have lived in many countries but only here in india do i see tremendous suffering that the average millions have to endure day in and day out...illiteracy, poor infrastucture, health services etc...now if this was a poor country then that would be understandable, but india is not poor. It has enormous riches and educated people (unlike e.g. cambodia) so to me there is no excuse for having such abominable circumstances.

Look we all have our history and stuff to be proud about at various times in the past:
The italians had michelangelo or marco polo or the roman civilisation
The greeks plato and the golden age of city states
The guatemalans have the ancient Maya civilisation
The french had the revolution which did away with bloodsuckers at the top
The russians were first in space
The americans were first on the moon
The english had...mmm...football
The germans had...mmm...sausages and beer
The dutch have cheese, the belgians chocolate
The Icelanders the first parliament
and so on

But all that doesn't really matter. What does matter is how a country is run and how it treats its people now and what their immediate future looks like. What level of dignity they can have. How healthy they are and educated and most of all the level of control of their own individual destiny. Most people live in virtual slavery because their salaries are so low they can not afford to complain or demand changes.

So I am an advocate for an Indian revolution to do away with corrupt politicians and industrialists. Go back to where Ghandi ji had to leave off.

Wow I guess I am definately in trouble now...