PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fed up.
Thread: Fed up.
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2009, 08:49
englishal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depends on how much you really want it or whether it is a whim.

A friend of mine took out a loan - can't remember what he said it was for, but didn't tell them it was for flight training. He then scooted off to the USA and did his PPL/CPL/FI ratings and worked for a few years as FI, building the time and a bit of money - enough to convert to JAA when he retuned. Which he did, but it must be fate or something because he entered the US green card lottery and got a green card, so then moved back to the USA and started his very own sucessful aviation business.

Of course he took some risks but it paid off for him. In your case you could possibly convert to JAA with 1500 hrs under your belt and walk into a RHS somewhere in Jarland.

The other way is to save up for the training....that is really what I did, I had a decent job and one day decided to do the PPL. Once the bug had bitten me, over the next 4 years or so I did an IR, ME, then the CPL (all paid for due to my real job). I had views of a career change in 2004 but actually realised I'm happy just flying for fun, which is funded by my present job and I can choose whether to fly or not.

I remember sitting at the end of the runway on Gurnsey in the RHS of a turbo prop (commercial op), the heavens had just opened, the sky was black as night due to the cloud, and there were forecasts of embedded Cb's around. Oh and the weather radar had been taken out for maintenance and there was this sheet of cardboard where it should have been! We took off and were in it fairly quick, and when the captain shouts to everyone in the back to "strap in tight" and tells me we're going to "slow right down, f*cking hell this could be nasty", then I must admit I really wished I was sat on my sofa drinking a nice warm cup of coffee!