PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fed up.
Thread: Fed up.
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2009, 08:28
Justiciar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I often wish I was born 50 years ago where a pilot could start out by sweeping hangars or cleaning aircraft.
I think it still happens like this sometimes and I know one lad who went from hangar sweeping to the RAF.

I have to say that I agree to an extent with sternone, though I am a) too old by far to be a commercial pilot anyway and b) in a very well paid non aviation career which funds my flying.

If you really have a passion then you will find a way to do it, many do. A friend of mine went from owning and running an MOT garage to being a commercial pilot, though he borrowed hugely to do it and now flies cargo.

Economically, training commercially makes no sense. Unless you are a captain on long haul for BA you will almost certainly be able to earn more in a non aviation career and the £40,000 to £60,000 it costs you to train will fund a life time of flying what ever you want to fly. Another chap I know went from the RAF to Virgin and flies Airbus on long haul. He hates the tedium of the job as compared to his military flying and being away from his family.

There is an element of being a bus driver or systems manager on the long haul, and more interesting local or non routine work is even more difficult to come by. May be you can do something non commercial to give you the buzz you crave, e.g. aerobatics or display pilot. You don't have to earn a living from flying to make it interesting