PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - do we take our personal saftey for granted?
Old 29th Oct 2009, 18:08
SNS3Guppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm very big on safety glasses. I keep a respirator in my toolbox, and even if I'm just wiping a part down with MEK, I put it on. I never used gloves in the past in the solvent tank, but over the years I've found that I've become a lot more sensitive to chemicals, with exposure...now I do when I've got gloves...though I still often use simple solvents and fuels without them.

I don't often get up on scaffolding or tall stands any more, and the most I use is a ladder. No sense a harness with a ladder in most cases, but I am careful, and I've used webbing to lash the ladder to an engine mount or structure when working outside in the wind.

I've known a number of individuals who have been injured on the job, who might not have been, if they'd exercised more common sense and used the proper protective equipment, and measures.

I'd love to have a cage for wheels, and other such equipment, but I don't...so I work carefully and take my time. I think the single most common offense I see so far as safety goes is failure to wear eye protection. Very small cost and effort to keep a set of eyes that need to last a lifetime, I think.