PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 29th Oct 2009, 10:42
bealine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, I acknowledge the point you're both making (Carnage Matey and Lord Bracken) and whilst I can see what you're driving at, if these changes are necessary, and permanent, then I am going to have to look for another job. It's sad really, you can probably tell by the bibliography with which I quickly responded that I love my career and I have a real interest in aviation - enough to want to study the subject matter in great detail.

However, 6 months from now, when my shift pay is reduced by £60 a month, I will become technically insolvent unless BA has opportunities for overtime. (At the moment, I only have £62 a month "disposable" income and I'm sure prices will rise higher than £2 a month between now and April 2010!) In October 2010, when I lose a further £60 per month, I will be sinking fast!

The canteen subsidy has been reduced. The unions have called for a boycott, but that's academic - no one but a very few can afford to eat there! I have brought my own food in ever since we moved to T5.

Now, I am an ordinary guy with a stable marriage of almost 30 years and small £30,000 mortgage. I have no children from previous relationships to support. So, if I am struggling, then there are a couple of thousand others in the same boat - that's the reason behind all this industrial unrest! It is only the young, free and single living with mum and dad or those married to breadwinners outside of the industry that can survive any cutbacks!

It is at that dangerous point that very few of us care whether BA survives or not. Much as I love the company and the job, (and I share the shame of "Dirty Tricks" and "Collusion" and the bad stuff we've got ourselves into), if it can't pay me a decent living wage, but it can pay the Board grossly inflated salaries and publicluy admits the average salary is £53,000 pa (mine is under £20,000) then there's something very far wrong!