PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 28th Oct 2009, 22:18
Carnage Matey!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bealine
I might say the same to you! You and your pilot community have come out of the negotiations relatively unscathed - okay, you may have to tighten your belt a wee bit in the short term, but after next year everything will be hunky dory again .
I thought you were starting to get with the program there Bealine. The pilot community has come out 'relatively unscathed' as you like to put it, because of a 60%+ increase in productivity over the last ten years, major reform to work rules to increase flexibility and operational robustness for BA, and a significant restructuring of pay scales (and no RPI+ pay increases for us either, just the corporate deal). If pilots are getting away 'relatively unscathed' it's because they've already been through the pain. The CAA figures make for interesting reading, not just because BA cabin crew seem to cost twice per much as Virgin, but because BA pilots now cost the same as Virgin pilots per flying hour. The engineers in BA are now so cheap that BA are pulling back outsourced work because it can be done cheaper in house. If people appear to be coming out of this deal 'relatively unscathed' it's because they put their house in order a long time ago, and I don't think it's a coincidence that the logical, number-crunching employees got their act together sooner than the emotional types. Things won't be 'hunky dory' in a years time because all these sacrifices are permanent.