PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - For International Cadets.
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2009, 18:04
404 Titan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Triplespool123
1. There in no DESO. There are some posts here saying that it may start up in 2010 but will CX need that many considering CP31 and 32 are set to graduate next year? Either way I can't see their being a DESO scheme in Cathay in the future when they already have 6 CPP schemes this running this year with more set to start next year - and remember, CX are doing the CPP so that they dont have to pay the housing allowance anymore.
CX has actually averaged employing about 170 pilots each year for the last nine years including during the downturns caused by 911 and SARS. Of these 170, cadets have usually accounted for about 30 – 40. CX are ramping up the CPP to about 70 – 80 per year not only because of costs but because they simply realise that the pilots they will need in the future to drive their expansion plans simply won’t exist in the numbers they will need from DE. During 2006/2007 for example it is a fact they couldn’t fill classes because of a chronic shortage of quality DE candidates. CX’s plans are for a mixture of recruitment including cadets and DE. Unfortunately there is currently no recruitment planned for 2010 including for those graduating from the CPP.
2. The person who decides against the CPP needs to have the money to start with in order to self-sponsor. I for one am not that person and I'm pretty sure the other applicants are in the same boat.
Regarding self sponsoring one doesn’t necessarily need to have the money up front. You can borrow the money or do what I did, work full time and learn to fly part-time. It took me four years to get my CPL and I had no debt at the end.
3. If I did have the money, there is no gurantee of a job even in GA. Thats certainly true here in the UK and from what I have read, its pretty much the same in AUS.
There’s actually no guarantee of a job with CX either even if you get into the CPP. Up to 30% of each class fail the course.
4. If I did somehow manage to pay for my traning, and be lucky enough to get a GA job for 5 years, is there a gurantee that DESO will have started up in 2016? OR, where is my gurantee that I'll get a jet/airline job?
There is a very good chance that there will be DESO’s and/or DEFO’s courses by 2016. CX simply can’t train enough candidates it will need by the CPP alone.

A guaranteed job in life would be the ultimate utopia. Unfortunately there aren’t any guarantees in life including getting through the CPP or finding a GA job.