PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are we facing a safety issue?
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2009, 13:50
Centaurus

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
I think that many bright people will continue to want to be pilots and will do their very best to overcome the new limitations. I also think that they will be killed along with the others
I don't think that will happen. And the reason is that current automation is so good that even idiots are protected by it. With advent of the really superb reliability of automation, crashes due to navigation errors are rare. In the old days running into hills used to be the major cause of accidents.

There will always be differences of opinion between pilots on whether or not manual flying skills are still vital in highly automated aircraft. But, despite my personal views on the subject, it seems to me the generally accepted procedure where automatics are engaged as soon as practicable after lift off, until the last few second before touch down, has largely contributed to the good safety record of big airliners. This, despite newly graduated barely out of flight school first officers who, by definition, are second in command of a big jet, and who lack real world experience of the art of manually flying especially where an emergency dictates such a skill.