PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are we facing a safety issue?
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2009, 13:52
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
Unhappy

Regular PAX speaking, although from a flying family and nephew is current RHS on 738. I have read the complete thread and am going to be pessimistic in this post.

The comparisons with the financial world are more than apt. I was working for an American merchant bank in the late 80s (in telecommunications) and saw outsourcing start. I knew it was going to be bad but did not realise quite what a tip-of-the-iceberg it was. However, the financial prang of a year ago did not surprise and there is clearly more bad times to come. That is because not enough people have yet suffered financial crisis. I know that seems harsh to those who have - but if bonus' are being paid so soon, then there is more pain to come.

The comparisons with the medical world are also I apt and I suggest the problem is NOT in the operating theatre but at the bedside. When the consultant is making the diagnosis and deciding on treatment they ARE 'god' (at least in the UK). I have seen and heard many stories of the doctor (or nurse) not being challenged on the basis of common sense and what can be seen from the history chart. One area they have improved is that, before an operation, they now mark your body with a black felt-tip pen. This was because of too many times when the wrong knee/kidney/leg was operated on.

gravity enemy
If this continues, clever people will turn away from becoming pilots and we will end up with a bunch of nitwits and hillbillies flying buses in the air.
I think that many bright people will continue to want to be pilots and will do their very best to overcome the new limitations. I also think that they will be killed along with the others.

mercurydancer
As a matter of essential importance, the raising of air fares for the adequate training of air crew wont meet any objection from the vast majority of passengers. I certainly wouldn't object.
Me either but we all know it ain't gonna happen! The money would be siphoned off faster than a 3rd world dictator takes the profits of his country.

DingerX
Charging for meals may make a few bucks, but even giving out free crackers will calm the folks down and establish the proper power dynamic (provider-client as opposed to servant-patron), which, by the way, will help tremendously in an emergency.
THANK YOU. one of the single most interesting observations I have seen in years.

It is human nature to repeat ourselves and our history. We often learn that 'new' ideas were well established in civilisations 1000 years ago. We did not learn the lessons of October 1929 and we are paying for it now. We have become complacent about prangs and we are going to have more of them.

Why? Because the only thing that changes human behaviour is money and death. It is the desire for more money that is making the industry less safe and the bell-curve is more advanced than many realise. Once more deaths occur (= less money due to costs and failing bookings) then the industry will have some bright ideas about how to improve it.

There is a well know French expression:
Plus ça change, plus c'est le même chose
The more things change, the more things remain the same.