PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do you teach turning?
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2009, 06:58
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. Patter the look out and the roll into the turn and maintenance of turn.

2. Give control to student and get them to maintain.

3. Once they have that sussed tell them to fly S&L.

4. Get the student to initiate turn if they make a real mess of it tell them to fly S&L again and if you think they didn't grasp what they were doing patter it again if they just made a pigs ear of it get them to do it again.

Repeat for opposite direction.

5. Once they can do all 3 bits start getting them to roll out at physical references.

6. When they have that sussed do roll outs on bearings.

Then personally I combine practise with trimming practise putting it out of trim then S&L and pointing somewhere else.
Then depending if they have put the thing into a spiral dive by mistake in which case I would have had a look at it before. If they are not knackard by this point or are nervy I would do spiral dive recovery. If in my opinion they are not up to it I would put it in there student notes and cover it after revision before starting the next airwork lesson. I know most do the lesson in 30-40 mins, I make it last for 1 hour with the additional time used to hammer in the S&L and trimming practise. Pays dividends in the circuit in my opnion.

It might be out of kilter with the official place for spiral dives but it just the place I have found it most useful and the student actually gets the most out of learning Spiral dives recoveries. If you do it to soon they don't grasp whats gone wrong and the whole thing is a fire fighting exercise of actions without knowledge. And I don't like leaving it until steep turns like some do.