PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Queen and country
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2002, 15:28
Four Seven Eleven

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Queen and (another) country

A "colonial" viewpoint:

I am an 'undecided republican'. That is, I favour an Australian Republic, provided that it is at least as safe as the current system.

I swore an oath to "Her Majesty, Heirs and Successors".

I have been asked how I recocile my republican views with this oath:-

Simple - I am loyal to Her Majesty. If she is succeeded, I will be loyal to to her successor, be they a President,Grand Poobah or a Monarch. I am sure that Her Majesty undesrstands that my loyalty is to Her position as Sovereign of Australia, and is not personal. (I am reliably informed the Her Majesty is Sovereign, but NOT Head of State, or so my monarchist PM tells me.)

The real problem for Australian 'republicans' as myself is that HM is so inoccuous and yet such a powerful check on parliamentary excess that we sort of like having her there. The fact that she does so little is almost reassuring, just knowing that she is there.....just in case.

Thje other side of the coin is that I would like someone who is unequivocally MY head of state, representing Australia when travelling etc. (Oi' Chuck,...... that flat in Brunswick is still free if you wanna emigrate!....)