PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Poker player aiming for the skies!
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2009, 17:39
pastis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think answer to this question depends on how good you are (at poker).

If you are in $100p/h+ sort of territory I think you should probably be putting in as much time in at the tables/online as you can because we all know it's not going to be around forever. Flying, on the other hand, is. And there are no jobs about at the minute anyway. Make hay while the sun shines i think is the term!!
My hourly from poker is about $300.
I'm well aware that I'm making more now than I'll probably ever do.
This is why I want to get out of the US (Taxes for online poker pro's here are ridiculous, as are norwegian rules), and preferably to the UK. I will be playing when I'm not flying or studying, so I won't lose out on much profit, if any.

Be VERY careful about not paying taxes on your poker winnings if you are Norwegian. There are quite a few things that need to be in place if you are to be excepted from Norwegian taxes, simply living abroad for a period of time, or taking out your winnings in another country, does NOT cut it. Contrary to popular belief, although the country the payment is issued in may not tax it, the Norwegian government, will, in most cases, and they are entitled to do so.
I'm well aware of tax rules for norwegian poker players... Probably a bit too familiar with them. As long as I'm living in the UK, have a national insurance number and get everything approved with the norwegian tax authorities it should be no problem at all.

PS. Just found out a close friend of my mom who happens to be an airline pilot just so happened to buy himself a brand new plane back home. She then told him I had just gotten my PPL, and so he said I could borrow his plane if I wanted to! I'm going to call him tomorrow and find out what plane it is and everything. I'm guessing I could have a few hours done in his plane if it comes down to that.

The chief of flight dept. wasn't sure whether I could buy block hours or not, but he told me to get back to him first thing tomorrow and he'd have an answer ready for me. He seemed way more positive than the school manager atleast.

Again, thank you guys so much for your help in this very confusing situation!

Last edited by pastis; 22nd Oct 2009 at 18:17.