PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet2 Jobs
Thread: Jet2 Jobs
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2009, 13:43
northern boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
but everyone with a brain at Jet2 (yes, there are a few) are off soon as.

Which could improve things, unless the same brainy people realise that and stay, so things remain the same.

Makes your head hurt doesn't it?

From where I am sitting I see no rapid improvement in the economy and no sign that the airline industry is turning the corner, what I do see is layoffs both real and proposed and the unedifying spectacle of little rubber people with big chequebooks trying to buy their way into the industry that some of us depend on for a living. Direct your venom where it is deserved, rather than sneering at those who are being forced to choose between a job in the profession that they have followed for years or the dole queue.

The only sustained expansion now is outside of Europe. Not everyone with experience wants to live in a sandpit even if we may have to consider it. The fact that Jet2 are creating some jobs in the UK is very good news for some of us (little rubber people definitely excepted). Please don't criticize from the comfort of a secure employment.

To the wannabees who are going to flame the hell out of me, (not that I care but you deserve an explanation)

When I came into this game, it was with the full knowledge that I was joining the back end of a very long queue of experienced pilots all of whom would be taken on before I or my fellow no accounts were even looked at. I knew that there was a chance that I would never make it and that I would need to be lucky. There was no question of trying to bribe or buy my way into a seat although the signs were starting to appear. I had no expectation of getting directly into the RHS of a jet and apart from those lucky enough to be sponsored by BA, neither did anyone else. I counted myself very fortunate to get a turboprop position and built up from there. Now years down the line I find myself staring into the abyss once again at an age when most are enjoying the rewards of their professions, and along with hundreds of my peers am job hunting once more. I have kids to educate, a mortgage and bills to pay and retirement to consider inside 20 years. I do therefore get very hacked off when 19 year old snot noses come on here whining that jet jobs are not theirs for the taking and thinking that they can buy their way in at the expense of those who cannot pay thousands. Tough luck sonny. You will have known the risks inherent in this game before you ever started and if you didn't, with all the information at your disposal here and elsewhere then you shouldn't be allowed out on your own.

Last edited by northern boy; 22nd Oct 2009 at 13:58.