PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Poker player aiming for the skies!
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2009, 10:46
corsair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is an alternative which nobody mentioned. If you cannot get out of the course without it costing you money or losing your J1. You should consider finishing the FAA course and end up with an FAA CPL/Multi IR. Ignore the CFI, CFII. Get as much multi time as possible.

Meanwhile start studying for the JAA ATPL writtens. Get them done and passed, then turn up over here and undergo a conversion course. The CPL is straightforward. The flight school trains you until you're ready and you take the CPL test. The test is done on a complex aircraft but is generally considered easier than the FAA Commmercial flight test. The IR requires a minimum of 15 hours training, much of it on a sim. It's important to emphasise 15 hours is the minimum and helps familarise you with the differences. It could take 20 or 30 hours before you're ready for the multi IR test.

On the other hand. I would advise forgetting about being a pilot and stick to poker. It's better paid, more secure, higher status, safer, more glamourous and has better long term prospects. I'm only half joking.

On the point making a living on poker in Britain. I'm not too familiar with the scene in the UK but are you sure there is enough of it about for you to keep up the standard of living? Don't come here to Ireland by the way. We're pretty good at gambling and poker.