PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sam Hoy's passing.
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2009, 09:21
Rosh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sam Hoy's passing.

I’m sure that many who knew Sam have been informed, but for those who haven’t:

I’m sad to have to inform you that Sam Hoy passed away in the early hours of the morning on Saturday 17th October. He was in a place he loved, Gili Trawangan, Indonesia, as happy as I’ve seen him, and amongst friends.

Following a career in the Navy (Non flying, and then as a crewman), Sam embarked on his lifelong dream to fly helicopters the civilian route. He was a late starter making the jump at the age of 37.

I believe Sam learned to fly at Sloane Helicopters in the late 90’s, prior to working for Fast Helicopters at Shoreham. Sam then joined CHC Scotia, and has flown the AS332L / L2 as a commander in recent years. Most of his flying being on the North Sea out of Aberdeen, but he also enjoyed detachments to Australia and East Timor.

Most of us who worked with Sam at CHC Aberdeen will remember him being the ‘Grumpy Git’ in the crew room …… but, he was OUR ‘Grumpy Git’. Those of us lucky enough to get to know Sam a little better, would discover that Sam had a spirit as large as his frame.

He will be sadly missed.

Wherever Sam is now, the Surf will be up, the blues will be playing!....and he will still be blowing on his harmonica!

My thoughts are with Sam's family, colleagues in Aberdeen, and his many friends across the globe. If anyone has any memories or stories they’d like share of Sam, feel free.

As soon as plans for a service in the UK become clear, I’ll keep all notified.

There will be a small informal service on Gili Trawangan, Indonesia at sunset (5pm onwards) on Halik Beach, Friday 23rd October 2009.

Sam doing what he loved.

Diving with the 'Big man' last week.

Last edited by Rosh; 23rd Oct 2009 at 07:22.