PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CFIT
Thread: CFIT
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2009, 22:27
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A precautionary landing (what a lovely euphemism) is what is taught (as a theory) in the PPL, and while it is going to be the safest option in the "totally stuffed by weather all around" scenario, it goes so severely against pilot psychology that very few people actually do it. Very few owners will do it because of the 4-digit cost of carting the plane out on a trailer, and that assumes a perfect landing. It may also be highly dangerous, depending on the terrain.

Far better to plan the flight at/above the MSA, and keep an escape route open at all times.

Flights that are actually executed at/above the MSA, with a turnback if unable to maintain VMC, are extremely unlikely to result in a total loss of escape options. It is the people who fly below the MSA, say 500ft above the ground, who get squeezed between the terrain and the clouds.

Yet, flying below the MSA is routine practice among VFR pilots, most of whom never do an altitude plan. The MSA business was the one good thing I was taught in the PPL and it never occured to me to do anything else when enroute. I'd rather fly in IMC....