PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are we facing a safety issue?
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2009, 19:53
mercurydancer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi PJ2

This is one of the reasons (not James) why I find this site so fascinating.

I'd like to coin the phrase "professional jealousy" - Healthcare incident investigation is really in its early stages of development. Our gold standard is aircraft accident investigation. You would be surprised how rudimentary some healthcare investigations are, and even the well documented ones with sensible actions to take often shrivel and die in the bureaucracy.

CRM is also a concept that isnt easy to translate to a healthcare setting but it is possible with a little thought. Even so applying the concept has huge benefits.

It sounds like there is a possibility for mutual exchange of ideas and concepts here. Healthcare, in particular, nursing and medical career pathways, are very well regulated and have such things as competency training and experience measured in the number of procedures undertaken for instance. Qualification is rightly considered to be the first step, not a licence to be protected from inexperience. I'm not holding medicine up to be the best, just commenting that there appears to be some areas which we do better.