PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 21st Oct 2009, 18:29
Carnage Matey!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bermudatriangle
carnage,your assumption that crew will sacrifice their long term earnings and lifestyle for one plum trip astounds me.
Why so? Were you not around for previous disputes? Many people don't want, or simply can't afford to lose that sort of cash. It's been amply demonstrated in almost every prior BA dispute with the cabin crew. Throw enough cash at the problem at people will turn up to operate.

the potential loss of earnings is huge,as opposed to one trips allowances.
the proposals are much more far reaching than including the csd in the service routine and reducing a purser from the aircraft.
It's not me you've got to convince. I seem to know more about the proposals and the likely road map ahead than any of the crew I speak to. Is that because BASSA are starving them of information with which to make an informed decision?

i don't know who you spoke to,but i can assure you,the cabin crew are becoming increasingly aware of the potential impact on thier future earnings,career prospect and lifestyle.
Increasingly aware? But the tubthumpers have been telling us that all crew are aware, and hopping mad! We both know the reality is that many crew don't know or don't care, and those who see their only chance of PTW, VR or fleet changes at risk are, inevitably, going to look after their own interests first. It looks like you're in a race to convince the uninterested to vote, possibly against their immediate desires.

with imposition of new working practices from 16 november,i can see major disruption in the very near future.
To be quite honest, I don't. A few people will get arsey on the 16th when the imposition occurs, some won't operate and will be suspended as a result. Crew will fly the new routines whilst BASSA waits on the ballot process and in the end all will have to decide if they really want a strike (and completely flexed rosters) in the run up to Christmas. With Santas bills to pay and parties to attend it'll seem awfully cold on a picket line. And after all, it's just a purser off and a CSD in the cabin. Isn't it?