PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USA House passes aviation safety bill
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2009, 20:42
lomapaseo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
we need to be careful in emulating the trucking industry. I have it on very good authority that most truckers maintain two log books. One that follows the letter of the law for duty time for the feds and another that is presented to the company for pay and allowances. And, apparently, most trucking companies are happy to look the other way as long as the freight gets to it's destination. I would hate to see the so-far-compliant aviation industry degenerate to those levels.
I still maintain that commuting long distances for flight duty is a choice made by the pilots and the airlines must enforce the regulations they themselves put in. An example would be not allowing the pilots to rest in the crew lounge. The regulation exists but is probably more honored in the breach than in the observance,as was evident from the Colgan accident.
Alt3.
Thanks for the reply. But just to keep my clarity am I therfor correct that in both the Truck driver example and the the Colgan example that the ability of the crew to work arround the rules is the problem?

If so, then in both cases the policing of such rules did not work under the supervison of the employer.

But just how diligent can one expect the employer to be short of punch-in punch-out time cards and fines? From a safety standpoint I don't trust the word diligence unless there is an auditable process to back it up.