PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Whats with BCN approach??
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2009, 19:45
TheKabaka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, a great posting by JToledo deserves a reply.

From the BA perspective it sounds as though we are flying to the same gates as EZY (should be stable at 1000', must be stable at 500') so i'm surprised if one company is significantly more conservative than the other. Both clearly have a good culture and safety monitoring program so will not bust the 500' gate.

A BA crew are unlikely to go to BCN very regularly so not very familiar I probably go 4 or 5 times a year, I think what all pilots want is predictability if it was widely known that ATC want 250/14d following a level decel then we could often achieve that. It is the creativity you mention which means we are trying to second guess whats going to happen next leading to a conservative approach.

We should help you by informing ATC of our intentions or needs, and similarly if you can tell us the plan in good time we can adjust the flight to meet those criteria (or own up as not been able to comply!).

Something like "XXX123 I'd like you to maintain 250kts till 14d, expect 20 mile final at 3000'" may help.

These are just my thoughts, hope it is of intrest