PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USA House passes aviation safety bill
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2009, 10:46
captjns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right then, glad you set me straight. No reason at all why I shouldn't be perfectly happy with a 367 hour total time guy at night, in a monsoon, crappy 3rd world ATC, maybe a slight technical glitch, or and did I mention - we have been flying for 9 1/2 hours.

It depends on the mind set of the guy in the left seat. Personally, I have no problem with a 367 guy in the right seat. Been there done that and have the t-shirt. But then again, I've been a line trainnig captain for more than 25 years.

I remember flying with a newbie losing all hydraulics. yeah he was a bit nervous but realized that the wings and motors were still attached to the airframe. Unlike the simulator we had plenty of time to deal with the problem in a relaxed manner. True I had a seasoned Flight Engineer, but some one had to fly the jet while the check lists werr run. The newbie did an outstanding job. By the way... the lad had about 350 in his log book.

No reason at all why I should prefer to have a guy who was maybe an F18 instructor or else a Captain on a commuter jet assisting me. Rest assured that all is OK. My error.
You could consult your Chief Pilot for advise and his opinion concerning the matter.

In know, most line captains expect their F/Os to be qualified 100% without the requirement for baby sitting. Oh well... that's not reality. Some imparting of appropriate knowlege, alone with give and patience is required of the skipper. Remember, even the F-18 pilot is still on the learning curve when first released to the line.