PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Batavia Air
Thread: Batavia Air
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2009, 15:42
PK-KAR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are several foreign pilots there, mainly for the A332s...
Nice duty days... duty and flight hour limits are juuuuust within the rostered sched... bye bye annual limits though.

A332 routes are currently only CGK-MES (regular) and CGK-SUB (irregular)... News from inside have it that they plan it for JED flights, and several domestic trunk routes.

Lion CAE contracts appear to be extremely convoluted after the DGCA found out several "unqualified" persons applying and was accepted by Lion.

Any current pilot flying for Batavia who could give us an insight on the company?
I'm not there, but expect a double log book *grin*

so either they raise all pilots salaries (the preferable option, but for a low cost carrier, this is not going to happen),
Well, ironically, it's the LCC that has done this (Indo Air Asia)... now highest paid pilots in the private airliens... they have no pilot problems (I wonder whyyyy)

"Indonesian Gov not accept pilots who doesn't have Instructor qualification . That's only for bridging type of aircraft."
That should be phrased as:
"Indonesian gov accepts foreign pilots who does have instructor qualifications, for aircraft and instructor bridging purposes"... Anything beyond that, it's anyone's guess...

Oh, 6 months contracts are no problems with the govt... *grin*

$4,000mo for a Captain?
Basic or take home? If take home, that's the lowest in the country, if basic, well, that all depends on the ++...

I set my Captain minimum pay at $8500.
Is that take home?

I've many friends there who talk about how bad their maintenance are...
Believe me, there are LOTS who'd want to talk about it! *grin*
4k and that's it? Sucks!

I've a friend from Indonesian DGCA, and he told me, that for protect the local pilots , only pilots who has "instructor qualification" can works in Indonesia.
Try and say that to Cor Blokzjil in Mandala...

The official answer is I guess, "the only pilots who can work in Indonesia are the ones whose employers are willing to fork money out on them to the **********"

The basic actually for the local even around 3000 and the flying hours around 7 dollars/hour!!!
Shucks! $7 an hour? That's what the girls earn at the red squad in terminal 3 in jakarta (after a lower basic pay)...
6 landing acceptable by the company.
And >140hrs a month...

Second - This is an LCC. Think Ryan air, Value Jet (er, Air Tran), Air Asia or Spirit Air. You get what you pay for (and one of the big reasons that the pay for pilots is so low).
I think to use LCC and low pay in the case of this carrier, it's inaccurate... The other 2 "true LCC"s in Indonesia pays more than Batavia!

Fourth - The pilots are flying close to the max of 110 hrs each month, mostly due to the fact they are short of pilots, which is the reason the company got permission from the Indonesian government to bring in expat pilots in the first place
A friend who recently jumped ships and moved there a couple of months ago... sorry, he's flying >110hrs... reason? Not short of pilots... Don't buy that argument, it's been going on for years at that carrier... they're known for their low pay... shortage? Well, how much are they paying? So the real reason is, "stingy pay". He's busted his max hours ever since he joined... a lot left because they got tired of the maximum hours busting year after year...

Oh, and that DMI???? There's a "envelope price" for certain items on that list for you to fly... *hint hint*...

If I find any concerted effort to try and put an unsafe aircraft under my seat, I just will not take it. And if I see a regular problem I will not continue working there, and will let everyone know this.
This is why, expat pilots are also a double edge sword for the carriers... The locals are worked their butts off, the expats are flown to the limit... why? If the expats bust their max hours, someone will talk to a LOT of places...

My friend who left also said he was threatened with his job if he didn't fly an aircraft that had an MEL item that was not fixed. The aircraft was cleared for VFR flight.. so he was told take it or leave. He is still waiting to get paid for a month of work.. Also, he said he was promised his own apartment, but never received it.. I am curious about Batavia as well, but don't want to quit a good job to go to Jakarta and be with a unsafe and bad run company...
That's an all tooo familiar story...

Despite ALL the bad stuff I wrote, there is however, hope. Yes, the company is turning around.. or at least try... but, it'll take some time because you really can't cure cancer overnight... The stories from the locals inside differ (as in worse) from what Hogger60 has said... BUT, I'm sure neither are telling outright lies and that the truth are somewhere in the middle...

PK-KAR