PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B777-300 Tail scrape
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2009, 16:00
Spooky 2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well Bungfai asked a pretty simple question regarding tail strikes in the B777-300 which is a little different animal that the 300ER in that it does not have the semi-levered gear on it. There is more to flying the B777-300 than just "pulling on the pole" and your sugestion that some how old school techniques simply override all that we have learned about ths aircraft sometimes do not apply.

For starters here are some of the ways that you can kiss the tail on the 777 and as I reacall many of these apply to your favorite airplane, the L1011, of which I have more than a few hours as well.

To start in order of occurance:

#1 Missed trimed due to out of CG effects
#2 Miss use of the flight director
#3 Alternate Aft CG applications
#4 Early rotation
#5 Agressive rotation as in pulling on the pole

Your CRM comments are somewhat over the top. Based on your stated experience, I think I have you beat and I still learn something from other pilots almost every week. Many of them are younger and have less time, type ratings, etc. but none the less they still are able to teach me something as long as I keep an open mind.

By the way I have several friends that have flown the SR71, but that hardly qualifies me to comment on that aircraft.