PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USA House passes aviation safety bill
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2009, 15:24
Slickster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saying "whose mummy and daddy are rich enough to send them to pilot school" is a wrong comment because i have wanted to be a pilot from 8 years old and i was lucky enough to get my parents to fund my flying im now type rated on the 737-300/900 with FAA CP/IR. Because you worked your ass off for a few years to fund your flying doesnt make you any better than someone who was lucky enough to have the funding at the start.
Well, I wanted to be a pilot from the age of 6, so I guess that makes me a better pilot than you? I'm type-rated on the 737-200-900, and the 747-400, so I win again. Ooh, and I'm a captain!

I have no beef with people funding themselves, or their parents. But the fact of the matter is that you are severely restricting your intake, if that is the only section of society that become pilots. In the British Army you used to be able to purchase your commission (and sell it on). They gave that practice up long ago, sometime after the battle of Waterloo.

I worked my ass off to become a pilot, but didn't pay for it - my airline did. Hardly any of the 12 other people on my course would have become airline pilots, if there was no sponsorship; they would have pursued successful careers elsewhere, including military flying. Most of them could punctuate, and use capital letters too.