PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B777-300 Tail scrape
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2009, 14:28
411A

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
May i ask you some questions, as i am not so experienced as you are....
Of course you may, although you may not like the answers...
Who is going to prevent your mistakes in the Cockpit?
We two other crew on the FD.
If they see a problem, they speak up, I listen.
A simple concept to understand.
How do you encourage and support open communication from the other CM?
See above reply.
How do you handle a CM who has a better idea than you?
If the idea has merit, it is considered and implemented, depending on the particular situation.
How do you handle a mistake made by you but not yet discovered by the other CM?
I use it as a learning example.
Do you admit that you have no idea to other CM?
Don't know what you refer to, here.
Do you think its your duty to teach your CMs not only Handling, Procedural, Technikal but also interpersonal skills?
I have nothing to do with 'interpersonal skills'...that is another department.
Lets look at line training as a good example.
The new First Officer has a job to do...learn the airplane and the proper technique, as mandated by the company.
I, on the other hand, also have a job to do, to instruct in these techniques and procedures.
We have a limited amount of time to do this, so....I instruct, the new First Officer listens and applies the instructions and techniques in a reasonable manner.
This work out just fine in the vast majority of situations

In our small company now, we have FD crew members whom have been at the job for quite some time, so few problems develop.

Much younger crew, who are perhaps new to airline flying, now take these CRM courses, and are promptly told that 'the old ways' were rubbish.
I, on the other hand, have a completely different idea about this...the 'old ways' (as some like to put it) had many advantages, which quite frankly, CRM 'instructors' wouldn't know anything about...such as crew coordination (mentioned previously) which works just fine, lasts a long time.

Now, back to tailstrikes, and the prevention thereof.
In short, pay attention to what you are doing....and not just pull on the pole, and hope.