PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USA House passes aviation safety bill
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2009, 23:29
mnttech

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Doing something about ridiculous commuting, fatigue and lack of (for the pilots) affordable rest facilities and not least income would have made sense.
Just before I fell asleep reading the text, I came across this:

GovTrack: H.R. 3371: Text of Legislation, Engrossed in House

SEC. 17. PILOT FATIGUE.
(a) Flight and Duty Time Regulations-
(1) IN GENERAL- In accordance with paragraph (3), the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration shall issue regulations, based on the best available scientific information--
(A) to specify limitations on the hours of flight and duty time allowed for pilots to address problems relating to pilot fatigue; and
(B) to require part 121 air carriers to develop and implement fatigue risk management plans.
(2) MATTERS TO BE ADDRESSED- In conducting the rulemaking proceeding under this subsection, the Administrator shall consider and review the following:
(A) Time of day of flights in a duty period.
(B) Number of takeoff and landings in a duty period.
(C) Number of time zones crossed in a duty period.
(D) The impact of functioning in multiple time zones or on different daily schedules.
(E) Research conducted on fatigue, sleep, and circadian rhythms.
(F) Sleep and rest requirements recommended by the National Transportation Safety Board and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration.
(G) International standards regarding flight schedules and duty periods.
(H) Alternative procedures to facilitate alertness in the cockpit.
(I) Scheduling and attendance policies and practices, including sick leave.
(J) The effects of commuting, the means of commuting, and the length of the commute.
(K) Medical screening and treatment.
(L) Rest environments.
(M) Any other matters the Administrator considers appropriate.

Having watched a whole bunch of pilots in my day, I really don't think it is the time that makes the pilot, but how it's spent. I do feel this is a step forward, time will tell.