PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age and life experience vs. job prospects
Old 13th Jun 2002, 00:04
tom775257

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all,
Beamer:
Yes, I do plan to get some flying under my belt before committing to commercial training – at least 1 years private flying. Regarding the military; I believe a prerequisite for joining the RAF is that you would be willing to kill, or be killed. I am afraid I do not believe I could kill someone. I have however been on a military full motion aircraft simulator for an hour, and the feedback I received was positive about my potential as a pilot. Thankfully I have also progressed well in private training (although I realise this isn’t any where near the standard required for commercial ops). I truly realise money doesn’t give you a licence; however it is one of the many hurdles along the way. The next hurdle for me is the class 1 medical. I am training at the moment to get fitter than I am, with the idea of trying to get the class 1 early in my 3rd year of university. This will give me time to apply to do a PhD if I fail the medical.
FFF: Thanks for the advice. Yeah, PPL is the order of the day at the moment, just forward planning. If I want to try to do this as a career, I want to have a sound plan before starting.
Oxford blue: Fair enough, however my current school does teach a modular commercial course, and I could live at home....much cheaper!
Monkeyboy: Pleasing to hear about some companies preferring younger people as FO’s.
Redsnail: Wow, I wasn’t counting on that re: money. Time should not be an issue thankfully. Money will be after a certain amount. If I do go with OAT integrated, is the figure quoted the amount it will cost, or are there lots of hidden extras? I realise if you fail exams it will cost more...
Scroggs: Back-up plan a must I agree. I have two paths I could follow: I.T. in which I have still a few links to, or genetics. Sadly when I emerge from university with a genetics degree, no one will hire me without a PhD. I must make a decision fairly soon as to whether to try to become a pilot, or apply for a PhD. That is why the class 1 medical is weighing on my mind more than 1 year before I even want to consider starting. Thanks for the advice regarding modular vs. intergrated.
Foggy: Wow, that is harsh regarding the timing of when you finished training! Best of luck mate, I am sure (and hope) you will get the job you deserve in the end.
I guess I would hope to be turned out of a school somewhere somehow with required qualifications late 2004 on current plan.
Thanks all for taking the time to reply.
Cheers,
Tom.

Last edited by tom775257; 13th Jun 2002 at 00:46.